NAP Opt-in assessment – information for schools
From 2024, Australian schools can enrol Year 6 and Year 10 students to take part in NAP Opt-in assessments in key curriculum areas.
These new assessments are part of the National Assessment Program and completely optional for schools. These new assessments will be phased in over 3 years, starting with science literacy in 2024. Civics and citizenship will be added in 2025, followed by ICT (information and communication technology) literacy in 2026.
From 2026, NAP Opt-in assessments in all 3 domains will be available each year.
In 2024, the first year of these optional assessments, we will work closely with schools and get their feedback on this initiative to improve future opt-in assessments.
The value to schools
Schools taking part in NAP Opt-in assessment will be able to:
1. Measure student performance against national standards in key curriculum areas beyond literacy and numeracy.
2. Use the results (available only to the participating school and no one else) to review, plan and adapt teaching and learning programs, and share with the school community if they wish.
3. Run the assessments using a self-service platform at a time that suits them in the testing window.
Express your interest in NAP Opt-in assessment for 2024
Schools are encouraged to express their interest by completing a short EOI form at www.surveymonkey.com/r/L6LDZK5 by 8 December 2023. This will help ACARA plan and deliver the first assessment in 2024.
Registering for NAP Opt-in assessment in science literacy 2024
Registration opens 26 March 2024 and closes 30 April 2024. There is no fee for schools registering to take part in this assessment.
School principals can register their school at www.assessform.edu.au. ACARA will verify the school’s registration details and send confirmation to the email address provided.
Preparing for NAP Opt-in assessment in science literacy 2024
Schools self-administer the NAP Opt-in assessment in science literacy via the platform www.assessform.edu.au. This is the same platform schools use already for NAPLAN assessments and so it will be familiar.
Principals use the platform to:
- nominate their school technical support officer, NAP coordinator and test administrator.
Ahead of the testing window, schools will:
- access training manuals and guides on this website
- carry out technical preparation including device checks
- select their preferred assessment dates
- enrol students.
Schools do not have to enrol all students in Years 6 and 10. Schools can enrol both years, or one year, or individual classes of students within either year. When schools enrol full-year cohorts, they benefit from more data for school-wide planning.
- mark the assessments and analyse the assessment data
- provide principals with school-level reports.
- School registration and enrolment window: 26 March 2024 – 30 April 2024
- Test window: Monday 6 May – Friday 31 May 2024
- Results window: July 2024 – August 2024
Schools can find more information and Frequently Asked Questions in our NAP Opt-in assessment school information guide (PDF 356 KB).
NAP Opt-in assessment in science literacy 2024 helpdesk
Email: [email protected]